How Does CropMobster Work?
CropMobster is an online community exchange platform for broadcasting food and agricultural needs and/or offers. CropMobster SF Bay is focused on supporting hunger relievers, tackle food waste and build our “farm-to-fork” economy in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Alerts are posted by the local community, which contain offers or requests in search of anything within the food and agriculture system. When these alerts are published, the community is sent email notifications which acts as a crowdsourced solution to get together to share or connect with alert owners to exchange. Visit our How it Works page to learn more.
What Problems Does CropMobster Solve?
The CropMoster Community Exchange platform “connects” the dots to inspire community crowdsourcing to end food waste, support hunger relief and increase revenue and exposure for small farms and food businesses. We are essentially a local food network that enables neighbor to neighbor sharing.
Here is an overview of some of the problems we see, but remember – each of these problems, when looked at a different way, are opportunities to create value in your community:
- 1/3rd of all food produced in the world is wasted and goes uneaten.
- If food waste were a country, it would be the 3rd largest emitter of Greenhouse Gas Emissions (GHGs), next to China and the US.
- Nearly one billion people in the world are hungry and experiencing food insecurity.
- Many small farmers and food businesses do not make money and have a hard time gaining authentic, affordable exposure for their brands
- 28% of all agricultural land globally is used to produce food that is wasted, leading to a tremendous waste of water, fertilizer and other precious natural resources.
At CropMobster, we see each of these problems as an opportunity for transformation and value creation.
How do I post an alert?
Anyone can publish an alert on CropMobster SF Bay by following the simple steps below:
- SIGNUP using your Email Address and click on SUBMIT AN ALERT
- Enter in all the details for your alert and submit it
- Locally-based CropMobster moderators will quickly review your alert and publish it as soon as possible
- Your alert will then be BROADCAST via email and social media to subscribers in the community
To learn more, watch our video walkthrough on how to post an alert on CropMobster!
I’m having trouble uploading an image to my alert.
When creating an alert on CropMobster, a photo is required. Sometimes an error may occur, please ensure your image meets our specifications:
- Maximum file size is 10MB
- Minimum image width 360 pixels
- File type must be PNG, JPEG or GIF
- Recommended 799 pixels wide by 433 pixels high image dimension
Can I adjust the number of email alerts I get?
Of course! While CropMobster is built to be an instant email alert system, we understand that some days the CropMobster community has a lot to offer in a given day or even a week! You can adjust your email settings at any time by navigating to your “Account Settings“, and clicking on “Email Settings”. There you can choose to receive Instant emails, or a Daily or Weekly Digest of all the amazing alerts the community pushes out. To learn more about this feature, read our announcement alert.
How do I activate my CropMobster account?
When you create a CropMobster account, we send a email verification email to prevent spammers and robots from creating fake accounts. Sometimes it can take a few minutes for our email to arrive into your email inbox. Occasionally email providers will automatically mark our messages as spam. If you do not see an activation email in your spam/junk folder, please contact CropMobster Support and we’ll help you get your account activated.
How Does CropMobster Make Money?
We offer our exchange technology and services to community institutions and organizations that want to drive impact in their own counties, regions and communities. To date, our work in the the San Francisco Bay Area has been funded by grants, social investment and donations from individuals.
How Do I Create a Community Exchange in My Community?
CropMobster partners with bold community leaders to help grow your “Farm to More Forks” economy and community. We offer county-level exchange packages and regional multi-county packages. Visit our CropMobster HQ website and send us a message if you are interested in Starting your own CropMobster Community Exchange in your area!
Do You Have Any Questions?
We’d love to hear from you! You can reach out anytime through our Contact Us page!